Daysailer, Flash

Page 2

Back    Next Page

The bottom was made from 3/8" MDO plywood, and then the whole hull was glassed and faired.   The shoes on the bottom were made according to the plans, but are longer to match the increased length of the boat.  I put the good side of both the side and bottom panels in, so there was quite a bit of filling and fairing required on the outside of the panels.

 

The hull was then primed with three coats of Kilz II primer and flipped over.  Next the gunwales were installed.  Since the side panels have straight parallel edges, there is no edge set to the gunwales, which made it pretty easy to scarf them right on the boat.  I used to laminations of 3/4" x 1-1/2" fir, to get a nominal 2x2 gunwale.  This is much heavier than the original design, but it makes  the longer, heavier hull very stiff and solid.

 

While epoxy or paint is curing is a good time make things like the daggerboard and trunk.  This shot shows the daggerboard roughed out and the lead weight epoxied in place.  I used #5 shot set in epoxy, and about 20 lbs fit in the opening I cut in the daggerboard.  The heavy weights on the board are to keep it down tightly against the table so the epoxy doesn't run out.  20 lbs is a lot more than needed to keep the board down in the water, but I figured it would also add just a little ballast down low that might help when singlehanding the boat.   

Next Page